Create a Brand Strategy
Creating a brand strategy before you even start to think about the branding process can help guide your business. You can decide exactly what you stand for, who you’re marketing to, and what you want your business to be.
To start building a brand strategy you have to:
- Start research about the market your company is in
- Determine who your target audience will be
- Figure out what your goals are (your mission and your vision will be helpful here!)
- Determine the core value of your brand
- Create a brand guide that will be helpful when you’re in the media or other people want to write about you
- Create a logo and decide on some colours
Creating a Name and Figuring Out What to Sell
This will probably be the hardest part of your brand strategy. You want a short and simple name that is related to your business. It should be easy to pronounce (maybe even easy to spell), not be associated with anything vulgar or inappropriate, and be related to what you do or sell.
Figuring out to sell will also be hard. Maybe you already have a product or service, or maybe you just know you want to start a business. Determining your target demographic will be key in this step. By figuring out who you’ll sell to you can better understand what you want to sell. Do your research in this step to understand the market and what’s already out there. Decide if you’re a niche product or service or if you’re offering something that’s out there just in a better or more improved way.
To get your brand out there you’ll need to market yourself. A great start would be to learn some of the Google Suite of tools for your business. Learn things like AdWords and the Facebook Business pages to understand marketing and social media. Maybe Instagram is a better way to sell, or you want to get on blogs. Decide what’s right for you and learn more about that avenue of marketing. Some brand channels can include:
- Social media (Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, Google, etc.)
- A marketing campaign
- Newsletters/email advertisements
- Videos/TV commercials